P H I L O S O P H Y    S T A T E M E N T

As one of two first-generation college students with Haitian immigrant parents in my family, I recognize that pursuing a college education and earning a degree are life-changing opportunities. In the beginning of my formal education, I thought of going to school as a responsibility to get done, but was certain that it would not serve me any purpose in the future. I was not taking my studies seriously and I made very little connections between what I learned in school and real-world application. That changed near my entrance as a college student. 

Throughout my undergraduate career, my learning and development became more, and more evident. Not only was I compelled by my learning to make sense of a multicultural society, I was tasked to apply theory to practice. Being able to witness theory come to life made me realize that going to school is more than something on my to-do list, but an experience that makes me understand and interact with the real world on a deeper level. 

I began my career in higher education a little over two years ago when I received a job as an administrative assistant at Northeastern University’s English department. I was a fairly recent college graduate with little administrative experience. Over time, I became more knowledgeable about administrative college processes, various types of offices and functions within the higher education system, and the issues and controveries regarding higher education. Even though my current work with college students only allows me to add them on waitlists or process registration overrides for them, I know that a career in Student Affairs is a better fit for me. On top of that, as a former Psychology major, my ability to empathize and counsel students convinced me that I would have a better chance of a successful career in Student Affairs.

Growing up, I did not imagine myself wanting to pursue a career in higher education, let alone pursue a graduate degree. My experiences as a first-generation college student and my work experience in higher education had inspired me to work towards positive change in problematic aspects of higher education such as college readiness, first-generation student support, and institutional diversity and inclusion. 

Throughout my M.Ed. candidacy, I have gained new skills and/or improved different areas of my professional skillset. I see that a career in higher education administration would enhance my development and expose me to more learning experiences. With a Master's degree in Higher Education Administration, my goal to advance to the Student Affairs sector and eventually take on a leadership role that will allow me to have more meaningful interactions with college students. I want to be a role model for first-generation college students and demonstrate that college and career success is attainable with self-motivation, goal-setting, persistence, and a growth mindset. I expect further learning and development in the future, as I believe that there is no end to learning and change is inevitable.