A Bridge to First Year Student Success for International Students

Authored By: James Donnelly 

Summary 

Once a student enters college it is an adjustment that possesses a number of unknowns and challenges that young adolescents must overcome.  Around the globe the majority of students that go away to school need a lot of academic support on campus within the first semester.  This academic support comes in a variety of facets whether it be one on one tutoring or group sessions.  However, international students must adapt to a whole new environment that is unfamiliar.   

At the college level students need ample support in order to get off to a strong start in their collegiate careers.  With a focus on time management and study skills each student tries to find their niche in order to be successful.  This case study gave me the opportunity to interview a student going through this important transition to college academics.  As an assistant director of undergraduate admissions I wanted to pair my passion for recruiting students towards helping current students achieve their goals. 

Throughout the duration of the Case Study I refer to the student as Subject A for confidentiality purposes.  The student is an international student from South Korea who is concentrating in the Pharmacy field or the Pharm D major at MCPHS University.  I'll highlight a few key modules the student participates in within the Introduction to the Major course that is the envrionment in which the observation takes place. 

Presentation

For my presentation I'm going to focus on a Voicethread option to articulate the learning experience and observation of a student within an Introduction to the Major course at MCPHS University.  This will compiled with relevant information from the case and have in depth detail of the necessary steps with a voice over to give analysis towards the observation if the student referred to as Subject A I worked with for my Case Study.  

Please view my Voicethread Presentation below:

Permision Form 

Per the professor's request I will attach the consent form as a seperate docment to not be viewable to the public for confidentiality purposes this will be attached to the Assignment link within the Case Study submission prompt.