Lessons and Accomplishments

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with homogenization.

As I sought information for this case study, I approached homogenization from a negative perspective. Competition and institutional governance has contributed to a centralization of structure in higher education. Institutions mirror each other. As a result, they may lack distinctive identities. This shift toward homogenization seemingly hinders both institutional and student success. However, this is not a universal truth. If, in the face of homogenization, institutions are able to maintain their resources and support their students, then homogenization is nothing that needs to be avoided. Albeit, this is stated from a broad perspective.

Challenged to assess areas for improvement at my own institution, it quickly became evident that UNE is in a growth period. Progressing toward distinctiveness during this period will improve institutional and student success. I arrived at this idea by first taking a step back and analyzing UNE’s current position. After two decades of expanding the physical campus, enhancing infrastructure, and accumulating human and financial capital, UNE is now shifting its focus. This change is motivated by a new administration and a new strategic plan. UNE is positioned to reinforce its position as a premier health-sciences institution. Furthermore, UNE is prepared to develop a keen focus on the environment and the health of the world.

My analysis of this topic highlights an understanding of the interconnectedness between institutional stakeholders. Administrative leadership, Admissions, Academic Affairs, and Student Affairs all influence the actions of each other. In UNE’s brief history, these departments contributed to functions mirroring that of others. They now play a vital role in implementing change. With this understanding, I turned my attention toward the strategic plan.

To effectively support UNE’s emerging identity, each educator must identify their department’s role in the strategic plan. Being actively engaged and informed is essential for educators to be successful. I spent a week engulfed in the comprehensive strategic plan. I located commonalities throughout the plan and extracted recurring ideas. As anticipated, Student Life is often not explicitly stated. However, myriad priorities indicate that Student Life is essential to influencing change.

Establishing a brand identity, integrating curricular and co-curricular experiences, developing a consistent first-year experience, connecting students, faculty, and staff, and promoting programs in the community are among UNE’s new priorities (University of New England, 2019). Student Life sews these priorities together. My colleagues in the Student Engagement Office must recognize this and proceed with intent. Aligning functions with the strategic plan will enhance the value of programs and the student experience. 

This is the reason why I am in higher education. Being student-centered is a recurring theme in my presented material and research throughout the master of education program. Remaining aware of students' perspectives and implementing change to enhance their educational journey is essential. Doing so is critical to promote student success and it is the essence of why I am an educator.

Conclude with Recommendations for the Future