Analysis of Relevant Learning Theories and Principles

Engaging in this case study has highlighted several theories and principles explored in my own educational journey, with the experience deepening my understanding of the theories and the theories deepening my understanding of the case.  Prior to encountering such topics, I would not have noticed the intentional design and structure of the learning management system and the multimedia usage employed by Chamberlain University, or the approach to learning and the motivation demonstrated by Sam.  Particularly, I have seen evidence of Mayer's Principles of Designing Multimedia Instruction; motivation for the adult learner; prior content knowledge and skills and beliefs; and the construct of significant learning.

An overall analysis is that Chamberlain utilizes several key theories and principles that optimize student learning potential.  I found throughout the observation that I was amazed at the ease of use and the format with which the dashboard and the LMS offered.  Periodically, I even remarked that I wished my LMS incorporated some features that I saw in use.  The interface allowed for the focus of the learner to be on the content and the learning, and not on navigating a cumbersome platform.  The multimedia design also allowed focus to be where it should be, on the content at hand, and not on peripheral material or visuals.  Introduction and integration of various types of learning additionally lay the foundation for significant learning to occur.  Sam concurs that the learning design in totality accomodates a wide variety of learners without detracting from or overloading the presentation.  When it comes to the motivation for adult learning, the evidence is a little less concrete than the other aspects of this case, yet nonetheless present through interpretation of statements made by Sam during the interview.  All of these theories and principles are investigated further through subsections in the left-hand menu.