Welcome, my name is Alexandra Ruszczyk, but everyone calls me Sasha, which in Russian is short for Alexandra. I’m a first generation U.S. citizen and a third year (first professional year) Doctor of Physical Therapy student at Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts. Part of the writing curriculum was to take this English course: Writing in Health Professions. This portfolio is a collection of samples of my writing, as well as my recent research and my reflection on the aforementioned semester abroad. 

Physical Therapy is my passion. I love to help people regain hope and independence through PT. Becoming a Dr. of Physical Therapy has been my goal since High School, when I volunteered in a local Los Angeles hospital in the Physical Therapy Rehabilitation department, as well as the American Stroke Association. My hospital was unique in that it offered both Inpatient Acute PT and Outpatient Rehabilitation, and I spent over 2 years volunteering, observing and participating in each.

When I moved from California to Boston, to attend Northeastern University, I knew that my work study on campus had to be PT-related, since I wanted to feel fulfilled at my job. I joined Movement Neuroscience Labratory, where I am a Reseach Assistant, working on innovative ways of physical therapy rehabilitation for post-stroke patients with help of virtual reality (VR).

My job is very exciting and my research is quite promising, so please don't be susrprised when you read most of my works, as they are related to use of VR in PT for post-stroke rehabilitation. Some of my most recent research using Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation to learn more regarding the role of Primary Motor Cortex could be found here.

Please leave your comments: any and all feedback is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Sasha R.