ABOUT ME

Welcome to my CaNCURE e-Portfolio! My name is Pamela Guerra and I am studying cell and molecular biology while working toward a minor in Spanish. After I graduate Northeastern University, I hope to attend medical school to become a medical oncologist with a focus in women's health. I hope that as a physician, I will not only practice medicine but use my experience to advocate for health care equality and education for medically underserved communities. 

I was fortunate to be selected as a CaNCURE trainee for my first co-op during my sophomore year at Northeastern University. CaNCURE is an undergraduate program designed to provide scientists and engineers with hands-on research and one-on-one mentoring in cancer or nanomedicine research. Through this program, I was placed in the Department of Imaging at Dana-Farber Cancer Insitute working under the combined mentorship of a medical physicist, Dr. Lei Qin, and a radiologist, Dr. Atul Shinagare. Here, I am working on a collaborative project that is helping me to gain unique experience to achieve my career goals. Our project focuses on using radiomic analysis of images from women with ovarian lesions to determine if texture can be used as a prognostic tool for ovarian cancer. Through this research, I have been exposed to the clinical research process and have been introduced to machine learning in medicine.

CaNCURE is a Northeastern University and Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center

partnership funded by the National Cancer Institute