Nanomedicine is an a new and emerging type of medicine that is rapidly evolving and ever-expanding in its definition. To me, nanomedicine is exactly what its name implies, medicine on the nano scale. This includes micelles, viruses, and all other particles that fall within this scale. The potential of this type of medicine is un-ending. Nanoparticles can be used for specific drug delivery, protein interactions, imaging and identification, or even gene therapy. Current research in this field is ever expanding. With the recent development of the CRISPR system, even gene modulation is within grasp.

Such technology also provides a way to simply study cancers. The more we understand about cancer, the easier eradication becomes. Cancer treatment currently is controlled expsure to poison that includes a host of other complications and side effects. Nanomedicine provides the next step with access to a more intimate knowledge of different cancers which greatly increases the chances a permanent cure. 

My hope is that this type of medicine continues to grow exponentially. The great promise that it shows is too hard to ignore. My contributions to the field as an undergraduate student may not be much, but the impact that it has on me is that much greater. I have been exposed to style of medicine that is different than current models. Just this knowledge alone allows me to advocate for it and keep my mind open. Medicine is the path for me adn being exposed this early allows me to gain a very deep appreciation for the work that is being done currently. This knowledge is only beneficial in my future as a healthcare provider.

CaNCURE is a Northeastern University and Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center

partnership funded by the National Cancer Institute