Example of the Practice

College Crusade High School Advisors are the back bone to the organization and is first-hand the reason that the organization achieves great success and that many low-income and first-generation students are on a path to postsecondary education. The role of the high school advisor goes beyond advising students through the application process, they must also recruit for events such as college visits, college fairs and the Getting to College Conference. In addtion, they also serve a role to make sure the social and emotional well-being of our students are addressed. Lastly, high school advisors are also community members in their high school. They also play a role in supporting the events in their high schools and students who are not Crusaders. 

As noted, as the Associate Director of College Admissions, my role is to address undermatching from a macro view. Instead of working 1:1 with students in an advising role, I am implementing new programs and re-designing existing programs as well as updating and increasing the training that high school advisors recieve. This past year, I have planned college visits, our Getting to College Conference, Community Mock Interview Day and have met with countless admissions representatives who have visited our office. 

In order to address my "problem of practice" the main focus is increasing high school advisor training. This is vital because advisors work directly with students in their high schools. Through the development of high school advisor trianing model as well as professional development, advisors will be able to take the aquired knowledge and guide their students successfully through the college application process. 

Through my M.Ed. learnings and personal experience, I learned more about strategies for addressing the college knowledge gap among first generation and low-income students. This is vital because this determines which information is most important for students and their families to know. The scholarly work on knowledge gaps among first generation and low income students aligns with the gaps observed by advisors at my school.

To address the knowledge gap, I am building modules of topics that scholary work shows impact first-generation students and what interviews and survey research has idenitfied as the gaps in knowledge for our advisors. In the summer, the high school advisors will attend many trianing on the different elements of the college search process. Each training will last one hour to 90 minutes. To the left are the sections that organize organization context, my interviews with advisors, modules, and business plan to increase professional development for the high school advisors.