LEGAL KNOWLEDGE – BEST PRACTICE

During my student teaching and through my coursework, I had multiple chances to practice my legal knowledge of special education. An important facet to the special education role is articulating and adhering to state and federal law while working with the students, families and other faculty members to provide the highest education and quality of life. My experiences while working in an elementary setting have taught me the importance of ethical practice. The case studies provided demonstrate my knowledge and professionalism and my commitment to all students. My responses to A Broken Arm and Commitments articulate the following CEC standards: 99. demonstrate commitment to developing the highest educational and quality of life potential of individuals with exceptional learning needs, 101. promote and maintain a high level of competence and integrity in the practice of profession, and 102. exercise objective professional judgment in the practice of profession. With each case, I understand my legal responsibilities, including confidentiality. Whenever referencing students I only use initials unless, writing an official document. Through my work, I reveal my philosophy of commitment to each individual student. 

Commitments

1. What interventions were tried with Shawn? Were they effective? Why or why not?

In the case of Shawn Bishop, interventions were implemented but not very effective. Clearly, Shawn has severe emotional disabilities and needs intense support. While I do not think he needs to be pulled for the entire day, he does need support in a smaller setting. Some interventions that Shawn received included consultative services, an LD specialist, and modified content. While I do think many of these interventions are more helpful than hurtful, I do not think these services were enough. Shawn is still not controlling his behavior. While I think the attempt to get the whole class on bored was an interesting strategy, I do not agree with the way that the situation was approached. It seemed as if Shawn knew that this intervention was in place for him specifically, causing him embarrassment and adding to the emotional issues. This activity could have been completed without students knowing it was for Shawn. It might have been more effective that way. I do think more interventions could be put in place. Guidance counselors could become more involved with a daily check in. Shawn could be placed in smaller groups for instruction. Shawn could be provided with an aid that supports his behavior and can manage the situation better when he has an outburst. I also think that the teacher could have handled the comments of other students differently. The children seemed to be bullying Shawn and the teacher was not correcting their behavior.

2.  What was the perspective of Shawn’s mother? Do you think she was justified?

Shawn’s mother disagreed with the decision to place her son in a self-contained for students with emotional disabilities. She had experienced this class with another child and felt that the class made matters worse, labeling her child EH. I understand where Shawn’s mother is coming from. It is her right to have the school include Shawn in the general classroom, like every one else. However, I do think that in this situation, this type of classroom may be more beneficial for Shawn as it could provide the appropriate support.

3. Was Shawn’s confidentiality breached?

Discussing Sean’s issues with the class is was a breach of confidentiality. While I understand that attempt to involve the whole class in Shawn’s intervention, it is not the job of the other students to control Shawn’s behavior. Because students knew this intervention was in place for Shawn, he felt uncomfortable and it made matters worse. Shawn acted out to the point of suspension. 

A Broken Arm

1. What instructional modifications in spelling did Mary make for Jim?

2. Were the modifications effective? Why or why not?

Mary tried very hard to modify content in a way that would make Jim successful. Realizing that he was unable to spell, she tried to alter the way the words were presented. At first, Mary pulled a small group of students, including Jim, and gave the spelling test in a separate setting. She was aware that Jim got all twelve spelling words incorrectly. She then tried to modify the list by give Jim on 6 words at a time so that he could focus on a smaller amount. She taught Jim to make and use flash cards at home. This did not seem to help. Mary then tried presenting the words four at a time, and three at time. These attempts to improve Jim’s spelling were still unsuccessful. These modifications were not effective because Jim still struggles with spelling. Changing the amount of work for Jim isn’t going to change the fact that he has a language disability. The content needs to be altered in a different way.

3. What instruction would you plan for Jim? What factors and information should you consider?

I agree with the suggestions that Mary provided to Helen. Allowing Jim to chose the correctly spelled word out of a choice of three might be effective. This is modifying the content so that Jim does not have to physically spell the word himself. I also like matching the word in a sentence. This is still exposing the word to Jim but not requiring him to spell it correctly. I would consider how it is affecting Jim’s ability to read and comprehend. If this spelling is tremendously affecting his ability to read and comprehend, then other interventions must take place. When Jim was younger, the LD class seemed to be effective. Although Jim is hesitant, this might be the best setting for him during his literacy course. I might also reconsider how I am evaluating Jim. If the spelling scores are poor because of his disability, I might put more emphasis on areas of ability when grading. I would definitely not post any grades for the entire classroom to view.

4. How would you talk to Helen about resolving the issue?

It seems that Helen does not understand Jim’s true disability and how badly it is affecting him. I would try to provide Helen with more information and research on Jim’s disability. I would mention that it is starting to affect Jim in a way that he doesn’t even want to come to school. Helen commented, “Educated people must be able to spell.”  Mary should stress that this is not true and that she is not lowering her standards for Jim. She is providing the material in a different way so that it makes sense.