SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHING PHILOSOPHY STATMENT

I firmly believe that education is one of the most important tools we can provide children with. As an educator, I plan incorporate special education strategies in my classroom no matter what job title I obtain: special education teacher or classroom teacher. It is essential that we meet the unique needs of all learners. Inclusion, individualized instruction, assessment and communication are all personal areas of focus as I pursue a career in education.

First and foremost, I am an avid supporter of integrating special education students into the general classroom. Inclusion plays such an important role in the lives of students with disabilities. It is simply unethical to disregard the ways in which students with disabilities can contribute to the regular education classroom. If we segregated students due learning ability, every student would be in a different classroom. Meaningful participation of all students in the classroom fosters confidence and personal identity, improves real life skills, and increases respect for all peers. It allows for each to be a contributing member of a community with out discrimination and helps diminish “labels.” As part of my role as an educator, I plan to set high expectations for all the students in my classroom, regardless of their learning styles or disabilities. I hope to teach in an inclusive setting where all students can contribute in a meaningful way.

Differentiation is a vital facet of special education. Each student has unique gifts. “Although students differ from one another in personality, learning style, talents, gender, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, language proficiency, and more, they are all identical in one crucial respect. Every student is biologically equipped to learn from experience—that is, each has the capacity for natural learning” (C.a.r.e.: Strategies for, 2005). As a teacher, it is my job to help students discover their gifts and use these strengths to teach.  Whether in an inclusive or non-inclusive setting, I will get to know each student and understand what his or her abilities are. Often, educators can focus too much on correcting weaknesses. I will actively work to promote student’s strengths. This requires being culturally responsive, providing differentiated instruction and universal access to content, as well as truly understanding each student and his or her disability. It is my responsibility as an educator to focus on these areas of practice in order to teach to strengths and meet the needs of my learners.

If I understand differences in students, I will be better equipped to assess based on ability. When evaluating students, I will ensure multiple opportunities to demonstrate knowledge and skills through a variety of assessments. I will monitor progress through formal and informal assessment. Assessments can be oral, written or project-based as long as the students have demonstrated ability to meet standards and goals. Collecting data on these various forms of assessment will be used to communicate progress to student and parents. This communication is plays an essential role in all student success, but more specifically, students with learning disabilities. . I hope to establish strong relationships between these students and their families and keep them up to date on progress throughout the school year. This relationship will foster a sense of commitment and will further encourage learning. 

As I embark upon a career in education, I reflect on the similarities between special education and regular education. I hope to attain all the necessary qualities and strategies above so that I can be successful. I understand my responsibilities and am ready for the diversity of learners that I will encounter. “Our nation can no longer be satisfied with success for some students; instead we must cultivate the strengths of all. An educational system designed to serve all students well will require educators with the skills, knowledge, and attitudes to value the diversity among students” (Caine & Caine, 2006). 

C.a.r.e.: Strategies for closing the achievement gaps. In (2005). (Fourth, 2011 ed.).

National Education Association.

Caine, R. N., & Caine, G. (2006). The way we learn. Educational Leadership, 64(1),

50-54.