Edward Jaracz

Hello,

My name is Ed Jaracz and I am currently teachig 9th grade world history at Lowell high school in Lowell, Ma. Twelve years ago I made a career change into the profession of teaching when the start up internet company that I was working for folded.  Out of work and in my early thirty's I found myself questioning as to what my next move should be.  

As much as I loved the fast paced environent of a start up company I found myself wanting to make my next move one in which I could make a difference.  For me, that meant teaching. I have found these last ten years to be both rewarding and challenging whether it was at Medford high school in Medford, MA , my first job, or Lowell.

Teaching in an urban environment has its days when I wonder if anything I am doing is really making a difference. There are so many variables within that type of setting that go beyond the classroom. Kids can grow up awfully fast in the city. Be that as it may, they are still just kids trying to find their way, in many cases with little to none family support to help guide them.

The best days are the days when students come back to see me to tell me how much they learned and appreciated my class. It is extremely gratifying, and in many ways, helps to validate and remind me as to why I got into teaching. That is why I have enrolled myself in Northeastern  University's College of Professional studies' Master of Education, Learning and Instruction Concentration program. I want to to be able to find new and innovating ways to be able to collaborate with my peers and reach my students so that learning becomes something that is fun and not a chore and hopefully along they way they will understand what it means to become life long learners.