Who I Am

I learned early to read. A world opened

up to me that I didn't know existed and

with a zeal seldom found outside of

youth I tore through the pages of every

book my little fingers could grasp. It

was a love that would carry me from the

depths of a painfully dysfunctional

childhood into a future that held nothing

but endless possibility.

I unapologetically tell people that books saved me from my childhood. From books I learned that the world around me could be vastly different from my own experience, that there was something bigger, something better. From books I learned that I could change the equation, that I could alter the trajectory of my birth and find a different outcome. From books I learned that I could be me, whoever I wanted me to be. 

I became a carpenter. I loved the fine detail, the creative nature and the sense of accomplishment found in the work. Yet I inherently knew that this wasn't where I belonged. In 2006 I took myself off to the library every spare moment I had. I taught myself how to use a computer, how to type, how to use basic programs from the Office Suite. By the end of that year I had put down my hammer and found entry level office work at General Dynamics and began my formal education.

At Dean College I found my voice. They gave me all of the tools that I would need to succeed and my confidence grew. I graduated from Dean at the top of my class in 2010 with an associates in Business. Over that summer I researched hundreds of schools, looking to continue my education and wanting the best program possible. It was Northeastern University that topped the list. From the fall of 2010 through the Winter of 2013 I learned how to push myself well beyond what I thought I was capable of.

In the Spring of 2014 I would be awarded the Huntington 100 award,

be inducted into the Sigma Epsilon Rho Honor Society,

and graduate Summa Cum Laude with a B.S. in Business.

It turns out I still wasn't finished becoming who I wanted to be. There was still something missing and a business degree wasn't the solution. I wanted to follow more than just my head. I wanted to follow my heart. My heart is in education. I believe that education changes lives. It changed mine. I wanted to be a part of that change. The logical next step was to join Northeastern's Master in Education program and to bridge the gap between my current knowledge and the future I dreamed of!

Image Courtesy of:

Luis de Bethencourt. Retrieved 12 September 2014. https://www.flickr.com/photos/luisbg/2072134438/