Grant and Report Writing

Introduces grants and grant proposal writing. Knowledge of the grant writing cycle allows nonprofit professionals to use their time productively. Topics include effective research, creating a plan for the program, elements of a good proposal, components of the proposal package, and strategies for getting a proposal read by a foundation or corporation. Offers students an opportunity to research an RFP or identify a foundation, write a grant proposal, and ready it for submission to a funding source.

Reflections

Grants are an inevitable part of higher education, small or large, public or private, liberal or research based. They effect faculty, staff, and students. They effect learning, teaching and research. Grants effect higher education, their institutional communities, society on the whole and many have global implications. Higher education in all of its facets is about connections, and this makes it improbable that a grant doesn't effect even those who never handle a grant proposal. 

This Grant and Report Writing course was not part of the curriculum for this program. In order to take the course I had to request a waiver that required an explanation for this deviation. In explaining the aforementioned connections, I was granted that waiver, and I am deeply appreciative of this exception and the learning I was able to achieve for it.

This course gives the student not just a broad overview of grants in general, but it also provides students with the knowledge of where to look for grants, how to inquire about a grant, how to put together a letter of inquiry, a budget and financial statement and ultimately how to work within a team of people to craft a full grant proposal under a tight deadline. And while I am not yet an expert in this area, this course was able to provide me with a direction that I would love to follow.

Signature Assignment

Other Assignments: Building Blocks to the Final Proposal

The Grant Proposal

Letter of Inquiry

Grant Application