My Professional Landscape and Goals

I have not yet settled on a profession. A specific path. But I am getting closer to that moment every day.  I am following a dream. An innate passion. To learn. To give back. I am learning about where I want to be, who I want to become. Over the last year and a half I have spent countless hours reviewing college and university job postings. Today though I have a greater awareness of what jobs draw me in and which one have me cringing in discomfort. 

The positions that draw me in involve community, under-served or misunderstood populations, research, writing, and of course teaching and learning. I am also drawn to positions within the arts and sciences. I am looking for a career I love, where work feels less like work and more like living.

I chose the Masters in Education with a concentration in Higher Education Administration to bridge the gap between where I have been professionally, ten years in the defense industry and another seven in the construction industry,  and where I want to go, which is without hesitation the world of higher education.

My Competency Model and Current Levels of Expertise

Summary

I am more than half-way through my MeD program and I am amazed at how much I have learned and how much has changed. I began with little knowledge of the world of higher education having obtained a bachelors in business and spent fifteen plus years in entirely unrelated industries. This program however has immersed me in this world and already has begun to pay off.

April of 2015 found me accepting a part-time position with Harvard University in addition to the full-time position I still held in the defense industry, in conjunction with attending to my education. September found me accepting my position with Harvard as a full-time employee. It was this program in combination with my tenacity and relentless optimism that got me in the door. And this is not the ending point. No. This is where it begins.

I wil complete this program, adding to my knowledge and I will learn on the job, adding to my experience. But even here I will not stop, I will continue on to my PhD and I will move into another and more exciting position. I will find that place where I can wake up every day and do what I love, because when you do what you love, you will never work another day.