Standard D – Promotes Equity

Indicators

Evidence

1.  Encourages all students to believe that effort is a key to achievement.

2.  Works to promote achievement by all students without exception.

3.  Assesses the significance of student differences in home experiences, background knowledge, learning skills, learning pace, and proficiency in the English language for learning the curriculum at hand and uses professional judgment to determine if instructional adjustments are necessary.

4.  Helps all students to understand American civic culture, its underlying ideals, founding political principles and political institutions, and to see themselves as members of a local, state, national, and international civic community.

Gaynor M. Kohn  Secondary English 5-12  4/15/11

I have given them life-skill reasons for the work that they are doing in the classroom. When we wrote a formal letter, I explained the importance of letter writing in our Twitter age. I explained that the effort and knowledge will come in handy when writing letters for college, scholarships, job applications and professional business writing in the future. I try to apply real world significance to our work.

All of my students are given equal access to redoing any work they feel does not meet their own personal standards. I stay after and use free periods to coach and tutor students who have difficulty with the work. I make every effort to give them work based on their ability and will differentiate assessments and general assignments when required.

Teaching non-fiction I used the Bill of  Rights as the base for the unit. During this unit the objectives were to have students read, understand and then take the information they read and use it in another context. We read about Mary Dyer and religious freedoms and I had the students read a factual article about her and then transfer the information into a newspaper article. We discussed several cases regarding the freedoms allowed in the Constitution, read the Preamble and discussed numerous scenarios based on the rights provided in the Bill of Rights. As a capstone project for this unit, the students are working in groups with each group creating their own Student Bill of Rights.

Gaynor M. Kohn Secondary English 5-12   4/15/11