Hayley Doyle

My name is Hayley Doyle and I was born and raised in Weymouth, Massachusetts. I am the oldest of three children, and I grew up doing gymnastics and acting in plays. I have always loved school, and have aspired to be a teacher since I was in elementary school myself.

My fourth grade teacher served and continues to serve a critical role in my life. Her dynamic teaching style had me writing my own books at age

nine and teaching drama at age eleven. At the end of fourth grade, I persuaded her to start a summer drama camp. Every summer since then, I have worked alongside her running the program. Now, we generally have about sixty students per year, ranging in age 

from eight to eighteen.

Throughout high school and college, I spent my free time volunteering and substituting at my former elementary school. My fourth grade teacher served as my mentor, allowing me to teach lessons in her classrooms and work with her students. There, I was able to gain many professional development experiences and practice implementing lessons before graduating from college.

In 2015, I began my undergraduate studies at the University of Rhode Island. During my final year, I created a drama club at my student teaching site. The program served as my honors project, where I researched Erik Erikson’s “Industry vs. Inferiority” psychosocial stage of development and applied it to my students in the drama club. My goal was to use the research and the program to increase students’ senses of industry and self-confidence. Based on student and parent feedback, the program was a huge success, and I plan to use my findings to enhance my teaching in the future.

I graduated from the University of Rhode Island in May 2018 with bachelor’s degrees in elementary education and Spanish. I then worked for a year as a building substitute at my former elementary school in Weymouth. Since them, I have served in several long-term substitute positions in Grade 1 and as a Spanish specialist. Currently, I am teaching second grade in Braintree, MA.  I chose to continue my education at Northeastern University because I to gain new perspectives, meet people from all backgrounds, and study in an environment where people are as passionate about the field of education as I am. I am in the Learning and Instruction concentration, and I hope to someday become a leader in my teaching community. I plan to continue my studies in education for as long as I am teaching, and I hope to use this program to design instruction that specifically matches my students' needs.