My Journey into Higher Education & Student Affairs

It all started when...

…I was a Resident Assistant and my Director was explaining their life story, and how they eventually received their Masters in Student Development. Intrigued by this, I asked, “What’s that?” They began to explain that I was in it. From there, I was hooked.

I have now been in higher education for seven years, having experiences at both community colleges and universities. Specifically in student affairs, I have had the privilege to support, empower and guide students through self-exploration and self-authorship as they create their own stories coinciding with leadership development and career readiness. These experiences include time spent in residence life, new student orientation, family programs, admissions and student life.

(With two students during the 2018 Senior Cruise

at John Jay College of Criminal Justice.)

My professional experiences have allowed me to work with a range of diverse students across a vast spectrum intersecting race, class, religion, socio-economics, political affiliations, LGBTQIA+, cultural/multi-cultural and international experiences, as well as invisible characteristics of different abilities to transracial adoptees and beyond. The work I do with all my students continues to broaden my lens and expand my compassion and empathy. This has allowed me to show up each and every day ready to support and advocate for student success.

(A casual moment with a student. Nothing staged here.) 

(At 2019 NASPA National Conference presenting on the transracial/transnational adoptee (TRA) experience of college student and student affairs professionals.)