In any teaching experience, management is at the core of a successfully run class. Without an understanding of effective structure, routines and the importance of consistency,  a classroom is bound to struggle. While working in a substantially separated classroom for children with behavioral and emotional disabilities, I discovered how critical it was to have a tightly run classroom where the teaching was strict and rigorous but also sensitive and nurturing. Students responded very well when I was extremely clear with my expectations and rules. I made sure to always adhere to my policies and to treat both good and bad behavior with a similar consistency. As noted in indicator #26, it was my responsibility to help fill out student’s daily behavior charts. I always explained to students my reasoning behind their score and consistently asked for their input about their performance. These conversations were always led in a productive and also predictable way. For confidentiality purposes, I cannot share these documents. Instead, for my example of best practice, I would like to share a behavior support plan that I developed after spending some time observing the behavior of a child in a classroom and also discussing the child’s overall behavior with the child’s teachers. I created a system that I shared with the teachers and they eventually chose to put into practice. I believe that the documentation of behavior as well as the development of a system to track and address behavior is essential in any educational environment. It is also critical to adapt these systems according to the students and the overall classroom environment. As a teacher, classroom management style is something that needs to be made very clear from the second students enters the classroom. Every child who comes into my class knows that I am strict yet sensitive, kind and most of all fair. 

FBA.docx