I worked every day in the classroom to ensure that I would meet the professional responsibilities expected in the classroom. I was punctual, consistent and worked hard to follow the rules and regulations of the classroom while also contributing my own knowledge and understanding of the field of special education. I was aware of my legal and moral responsibilities, and worked hard to closely supervise the children to ensure that everyone felt safe and comfortable in the classroom.

When faced with potential legal situations that required other professional’s input, I took it upon myself to include those people. For example, when a child in the class drew a picture that was suggestive of abuse, I immediately brought the picture to my cooperating teacher’s attention. She brought the image to the cluster coordinator, the cluster therapist and the assistant principal so that they could take the next step.

I also worked with my cooperating teacher and the other staff in the LAB cluster when planning the curriculum. I shared websites, books and worksheets with teachers in the other classrooms and they in return shared their resources as well. Additionally, I collaborated with my cooperating teacher to find chapter books that felt meaningful to the students in the classroom. These books closely connected to each other and also related to some of the themes in the curriculum. Overall, my goal in the classroom and in the LAB cluster was collaborate in an effective and meaningful way while simultaneously meeting my individual professional responsibilities in the classroom.