Introduction

For fall semester 2011, I observed in a second grade classroom at the Hosmer Elementary School in Watertown, MA. These observations were a way to reflect upon the research and material I studied in two of my courses at Northeastern University: Learning and Accomplished Practice and Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity. Observing this classroom allowed me to ground my learning in educational practices and to reflect upon how I might utilize the material of these two courses in my own future classroom.

The Hosmer Elementary School in Watertown, MA has students from kindergarten through 5th grade. There is one principal and one vice principal. There were 656 students attending the Hosmer for the 2010-2011 school year. In the 2010-2011 school year, 67.8% of the school was white, 10.8% Asian, 10.5% Hispanic, 5.9% Multi-Race, 3.7% African American, and 1.2% Native American. There were 52 teachers in the school building providing a 12.6 to 1 student to teacher ratio.  The average home income in Watertown, MA was $59,764, and the average family income was $67,441(Massachusetts Department of ESE).  The particular classroom I was in had 21 students. One student on the class roster was with severe disabilities and spent the entire day in the special education classroom. I never actually met this student. Over the course of my observations, I had the opportunity to work with all 20 of the students in the classroom on a fairly regular basis either one-on-one, during independent work time, in small groups, or assisting with a whole class lesson.

Much of the theory I touch upon has been formulated from my reading of the textbook Educational Psychology, Eleventh Edition, by Anita Woolfolk. 

Here is the link to the Learner in Context document:

LIC Project EDU 6104