Hello! My name is Leigh Stanford. I am currently pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching in Elementary Education degree at Northeastern University. I will be completing this program in June and I am hoping to begin teaching in my own classroom for the 2012-2013 school year. I have just completed my student teaching practicum in a 2nd grade classroom at Hosmer Elementary School in Watertown, MA. Upon completion, the principal asked if I would like to cover for a teacher leaving on maternity leave. I am now working as a 3rd grade classroom teacher at the Hosmer. I am happily continuing to learn and develop my teaching skills in this classroom!

I grew up in Plymouth, Massachusetts with my loving parents and younger sister. I played tennis and field hockey, was on a swimming team, volunteered with the Special Olympics, worked at a golf course, and hung out at the beach. For career day in Kindergarten, I dressed as a teacher and told Mrs. Zannaboni, my most memorable and dear-to-my-heart teacher, that I wanted to be "just like her." She jokingly reminds me of that memory to this day. Somewhere inside of me, I knew I was destined to be a teacher. 

For college, I went off to Fordham University where I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English. My undergraduate experience was full of classroom and real-life learning experiences. I volunteered tutoring students in a local high school. I spent my summers coaching a springboard diving team. I became fluent in French and studied for 4 months in Paris, France. I focused on Romantic Era literature and the history of the novel. I explored New York City and became an individual.  

Upon graduation, I was still unsure of exactly what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Feeling the pressure of  the economy and the turmoil of uncertainty in my aspirations, I quickly accepted a position at Bloomberg L.P. I spent the next two years of my life living and working in New York City. My eyes were opened to the reality of my goals and aspirations. I had always had a keen love for the classroom. I thrived under the pressure of a good assignment and appreciated the amount of dedication it sometimes took to understand new concepts. At Bloomberg, I had the opportunity to work as a trainer for new employees. I taught them the comings and goings of the company, how to navigate the software, how to interact with clients, and to provide current employees with ongoing professional development courses. I so enjoyed the opportunity to plan and present lessons to my co-workers, or "students." It finally clicked. This is my calling; this is how I want to spend my life: teaching. 

I applied to graduate schools, and before I knew it I was moving back to my native Boston and undergoing a drastic life change. My boyfriend, Michael, came along with me and now teaches high school English. We adopted a kitten, George, soon after our move. A year later, I am 100% certain it was the right decision. I am happy in the classroom, I love my students, and I find that my previous experiences working in corporate finance provides for me many unique and valuable tactics for teaching. Teaching and education are my true calling, and I have fully appreciated the journey through discovering this calling. I look forward to spending my working life continuing my career in education.  

I also enjoy skiing, golf, tennis, spending an entire day reading a good book, a cup of green tea, knitting, cooking, going out for a walk, and the Boston Red Sox. 

Please feel free to look over my portfolio. You will find more about my teaching experiences, my philosophy of teaching and learning, unit and lesson samples, letters of recommondation, my resume, and you will get to know me a little bit better!