This reflection was written during the class after we submitted our Grant Proposal. In the short reflection, I express my opinion on the assignment as a whole, and how well I believe I wrote my paper.

Post Grant Proposal Reflection

This Grant Proposal was probably the most challenging of the three projects, for me, because I had never written anything of this style. The personal statement was similar to writing a college essay but I was having a difficult time trying to find something important and “deep” to write about in my personal statement. I handed my final draft in thinking that my personal statement was empty and lacked the personality and emotion that other examples had.

For this project, I was confused as to how I should explain my achievements without sounding too self-centered or, conversely, too humble. I had a hard time discussing some of the accomplishments that would qualify me for my proposed research study because students preparing to graduate are the people applying for the Fulbright Award, and I have no idea what I am going to do in these next four or five years at Northeastern.

Similar to the research paper, I had to do some background research on projects and countries. In my research paper, I discussed the background information that I had found from other academics and writers and then inserted my opinion on a specific game, attempting to tie the two sections together. For the grant proposal, I began the statement of purpose with background information on the problem I want to research and any current work towards a solution of that problem. Then, I discussed my qualifications and how I would like to integrate into the solution development. Rather than definitive sections, like in the research paper, I wrote continuously, because this genre does not call for separations in a two-page statement.

If I were to write another grant proposal, I hope I would be able to find a more important experience in my life, and one that is easier to write about. I felt that the one I chose was shallow and did not have the same attractive qualities as some of the examples we read in class.