I study health sciences and am on a pre-med track so that I can apply to medical school and eventually become a physician. As of right now, I specifically want to become an Obstetrician/Gynecologist (OB/GYN) since women's health is a field that interests me on a biological and social science level.

Public health is a discipline that excited me before coming to college, but, to be honest, there is so much more to the field than I originally thought when choosing my major. In these past two years, I have learned so much about treating the patient as a whole and looking not just at their biology but also at socioeconomic and environmental factors. For this reason, I am grateful for my field of study and I will definitely take these lessons with me as I pursue a medical degree.

As I previously mentioned, I am very interested in women's health and reproductive justice. As an OB/GYN, I would have the opportunity to work directly with patients experiencing all stages of womanhood from the decision to become pregnant, to sexual health, to menopause, etc. It is important that these women receive this medical attention in a positive and empowering setting and I hope to be that force in the future. Additionally, it is my personal opinion that there is currently an attack on reproductive justice, especially in my home state of Texas, and OB/GYNs have an important role in protecting these rights by making sure women of all backgrounds are getting the care they deserve.

For these reasons, it is vital for OB/GYNs to keep up to date on research about best practices such as when to administer tests like pap smears and mammograms as well as surgical techniques for procedures like C-sections and hysterectomies. Additionally, OB/GYNs should know their community and be able to identify the public health risks belonging to that population. OB/GYNs should also be familiar with the current laws on contraception and other procedures to know what is legally allowed in their area.

The type of writing done in the field varies and can range from scientific to political with most pieces of writing landing somewhere in between. Much of the scientific research done is used to improve the medical understanding of a woman's body and know how best to treat disease or a public health problem. These articles are usually technical although may have bias based on what the experiment is trying to prove. The writing can also be much more casual and opinionated. For example, it is common for a women's magazines to consult an OB/GYN on their opinion about a hot button topic on reproduction. Additionally, OB/GYNs could be required to write more politically if giving advice on new laws about health care.

In my own career, I hope that I have the opportunity to write and make an impact through each of these types of writing. These pieces have a real power to influence women's lives and are important in ensuring that women are healthy through all aspects and stages of life.