Example of Practice

Throughout my Master of Education Program, I have learned and grown in many different aspects. For my Problem of Practice I wanted to pick something that would challenge me but also something that I was passionate about. My school lacks in supervision, training, and support to new teachers (beginning teachers and new to the school). Many new teachers step into their first year classroom completely overwhelmed. The four-year degree in education does not always prepare teachers for the customs of everyday practice.

Outside of my Northeastern Program I took a Mentor Training course that would allow me to assist new teachers and develop a program at my school in order to better prepare and supervise. This case study will focus on the lack of supervision, training, and support for new teachers at the ABC School. The ABC School provides an orientation the week before school starts for all returning and new staff members. This orientation mainly covers DESE required professional development and CPI Training (Crisis Prevention Intervention). After orientation week, it is every man for themselves, unless a new hire has found someone willing to help their transition process. The ABC School needs more supervision, training, and support for new or beginning teachers. 

My first day at the ABC School was filled with much anxiety and nervousness. The school I was in before had such a toxic environment and I had felt so alone. I was hoping for a better community surrounding myself with others alike and really wishing for guidance and support along the way, since this would still be only my second year teaching (if we can even really count the first). So, I walked into orientation day 1 with a fresh mindset, eager to learn, and ready for a new experience. I was embraced with open arms by many of the veteran teachers willing to show me the ins and outs of how the ABC School ran. I was feeling extremely lucky, I had peers who were willing to go the extra mile and dedicate time into my growth.

Even with the generous help from peers the transition into the ABC School was still difficult. The ABC School is not like a typical school; this is a non-profit school that works directly with the surrounding districts of Boston to provide a therapeutic setting for students with severe behavioral, emotional, and social needs. An online behavior tracking system is implemented and used daily along with program specific milieu treatments. As a new teacher to the ABC School it was slightly overwhelming to be in a classroom with students who had such severe behaviors and have to learn a whole new system. In an interview conducted with several teachers, varying in teaching experience and years at the school, many viewed the orientation week to be lacking several components needed to successfully feel grounded in the new position. With specialized training, direct classroom observation, and mentorship I would have felt a weight lift off my shoulders that first day of school.

The onboarding process has been a big part of who I am as an educator since my first year of teaching, I want to be able to provide fellow peers the same support, training and guidance that my fellow mentors have given to me. I have met with leadership and collaborated with them in the hopes to establish a set training and support criteria. Since this meeting, I have been apart of conducting first round interviews, advocating on teacher behaves to administration, and have been enrolled in a mentor training program.

Image retrieved from https://teach4theheart.com/how-to-control-a-disruptive-class-the-quick-easy-method-that-saved-my-sanity/