After graduating with a BS in Computer Science and a minor in Business Administration from the American University in Cairo (AUC) in 2008, I started working as a Process Improvement/Metrics Engineer for almost 2 years at Link Development company, which provides end-to-end smart technology solutions to customers worldwide. I liked my work, but I didn’t love it! It just wasn’t the career I had in mind.

I came across a Registrar Officer position at the British School Al-Rehab in Cairo, applied and started working immediately. The days were not the same. One day I would be swamped with paperwork and statistics to analyze and report, while other days could pass by, just trying to help out students and/or their families with a particular problem perhaps regarding college admission. Life as a registrar was far from boring. 3 years later, I decided to take a step up in my education career and decided to try my best to find a suitable student-related position at the American University in Cairo (AUC). After months of persistence, I was offered a Freshman Academic Advising position at the Advising Center in AUC. I knew I was good at helping out students and I loved doing it. So I wanted to take part in helping them in one of the most crucial milestones of their life; their freshman year post-school graduation. I loved my job. Every aspect of it. The long hours, the daily reports, the hectic schedule, the non-stop questions of students; Due to certain family obligations, I had to move with my family to Boston and I sadly had to quit my job. I was determined to find a way to complement the few years I had in the Registrar and Advising areas and found the best way to do so was to pursue a Masters in Higher Education.

Having completed Northeastern’s masters in Higher Education Administration, it will hopefully provide me with the needed knowledge and skills crucial in any of the higher education professional career options that I may be working at, and will hopefully help me innovatively address many of the complex challenges currently facing the higher education sector. I have a passion to help students, and I intend to do my best to achieve this goal, many with the gained knowledge of my NEU experience.

In 2017 I volunteered as a  Mathematics mentor for a grade 8 student at a Boston Public School. I used a lot of the skills gained throughout my career to facilitate my life-altering tutoring job

You could always contact me at elnewahy@fas.harvard.edu