In this section I give my interpretation after reading Rios' piece only just one time. I tried to soak up all the information I could to understand the piece as best as I could for a first reading. I really didnt understand it at first. This piece was definitely a challenge. 

When reading the title the first thing I think of is learning languages. This is when you have to translate translations. When translating things can be interpreted in many different ways. It is really important to pay attention when translating. You must listen to everything the person is saying so you can understand everything they are trying to say to you. By finding the beginning in the translation you will start to understand someone. To translate what they are saying you have to start somewhere by finding the beginning. With this writing Rios is trying to explain translation isnt just about finding the meaning of the translated phrase. It is so much more than that, it is understanding these physical acts of what is being said. 
     He is trying to get the readers to think about translating in our own lives and how we have viewed it til now. He wants us to change to start thinking of the bigger picture. By learning different words we are able to translate from different languages like english to spanish. Just knowing a word isnt enough to learn something truly. We have to understand what that word is as a physical thing. For example in the passage Rios gives the example of when his mother spoke in spanish to the painters of her kitchen. She said "limon" thinking in spanish it was like yellow. The following day she comes back to a green kitchen. This happened because the workers were all Mexican and in Mexico limones are small and green. She used this as a learning point to remind herself there is so much to learn in the world. This is Rios trying to explain he wants us to learn from our mistakes because we did not pay attention to the true translation. We can not just translate but we must think of what it means as we speak differently languages. He stated "... language is an attempt to understand as much as the understanding itself" (Rios 508). By this he means by learning a different language we are attempting to understand others by understanding what they are saying through a learning process. We can not ignore certain parts. We have to pay attention to the big picture. 

posted on October 12, 2012