Graduate Studies ePortfolio

Timothy Troy

Hello Everyone!

My name is Tim and welcome to the ePortfolio for my Online Master's Degree in Sports Leadership at Northeastern University, with a concentration in Collegiate Athletic Administration. I am a die-hard fan of collegiate athletics and sports in general, and love working and collaborating with people in a team environment. I chose to pursue this program to gain further knowledge of the sports industry, with the goal of one day leading a Division I athletics program in the role of an Associate Director of Compliance. 

I grew up in the town of Manchester, CT where my unhealthy obsession with UConn Basketball began. This of course is not uncommon in CT where you grow up without a local professional sports team to root for (R.I.P. Hartford Whalers). In that realm I root for all Boston sports teams, especially the Celtics. In addition to being a fan I've also played sports my entire life. I was the captain of my high school soccer team in Manchester, played countless intramural sports during my time at the University of Vermont (where I earned my BA in English), and was fortunate enough to play club soccer for several years under head coach Tony DiCicco (famous for coaching the US Women's Soccer Team who won the gold medal at the 1999 Olympics). The positive attributes that team sports has taught me throughout my life has inspired me to pursue a career in this industry.

When I'm not involved in sports I enjoy hiking, traveling, playing chess, reading a good book and going to the movies. I've lived in the Greater Boston area for the past seven years (I currently live in Allston), where I currently work for Northeastern as a program coordinator for the N.U.in Program in the Global Experience Office. Our program falls under the Office of the Chancellor. This program oversees incoming freshman students who study abroad for their first semester with other Northeastern first-year students at a partner institution of their choosing based on their major eligibility and program capacity. They then return to study in Boston for the spring semester. Over the past two years we have overseen roughly 2300 students across 12 international locations.

Additionally, for the 2019-2020 academic school year I have been interning for the Development Office of Northeastern's Athletics Department. As part of my internship I have been tasked to perform customer service related job responsibilities, including staffing home games for the men's soccer, hockey, and baseball teams. I have also assisted with large events, including the men's basketball team's 100th anniversary boat cruise, and the men's baseball team's annual golf tournament fundraiser and 100th anniversary alumni event at Fenway Park. I have learned a great deal about alumni engagement, fundraising, and event management through this internship.